Monday, January 27, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

This meme was started by Sheila at Book Journey. The kid's version was started by Jen at Teach Mentor Text and Kellee at Unleashing Readers.

Since all last week was snow days for me, I was able to read two books that I have been wanting to read for quite a while.  If I had known that I would have been out of school all week, I would have made a trip to the library.

15809629The first book that I read was Lincoln's Grave Robbers by Steve Sheinkin. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. Wow, is all I can say.  I never knew there were any plots to steal Lincoln's body!  Sheinkin once again has made a nonfiction book read like a fiction story.  I found myself captivated by the events that lead up to the dramatic conclusion.  I also learned some neat facts that I used to stump my father, who is a huge history buff!  I considered that an added bonus! This is the third book that I've read by Sheinkin and I haven't been disappointed.  The other two that I read of his were Bomb (about the atomic bomb) and a biography about Benedict Arnold.  If you haven't read any of his book, I suggest you get to a library and read them.


19008567
The second book that I read last week was "The President Has Been Shot": The Assassination of John F. Kennedy by James L. Swanson.  Click here for a summary on Goodreads.  I've always been fascinated by the events surrounding the assassination of JFK. (This is what happens when you have a history buff for a father.)  I wasn't alive during those fateful days, but after reading this book I feel like I lived them. This was a very powerful and emotional book for me.  As I was reading I got so emotional involved, even though I knew what the final outcome would be.  I even shed some tears when thinking about all that was lost that fateful day for the Kennedy family and our country.

After reading the book about JFK's assassination, I was so emotionally drained. I needed something completely different.  Since I hadn't been able to leave my house because of the snow I picked an old favorite to start again, Harry Potter. Right now I'm on book three.

What have you been reading?  What should I read next?

Happy Reading!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)

  

5 comments:

  1. I like both of these, but the covers are similar and I keep getting these authors confused. I need to read the Swanson but loved the Sheinkin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also noticed your post yesterday! So glad you're joining us in the Mustreadin2014 challenge! Hope you sent your post to Carrie! I loved bomb, so must find the Lincoln book too. I'm sure it's great! I was in college during the JFK assassination-what a sad time for all of us. You're right to feel the emotions, too. It was such a loss. To read next? There are so many good ones on your list, but 2 favorites are Counting by 7s or The Year of Billy Miller-both good, at least for me! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! A whole week of snow days! The most I have ever had in a row was 3 days after a blizzard a few years ago. Both of these nonfiction reads sound really good. I really love Sheinkin's other books so I am sure I would love this one too. Both subjects are so fascinating as well. Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of Sheinkin's books but one blogger wrote about Bomb and I was sold! Lincoln and JFK are important figures in American history and it would definitely be a treat to read about them. Also, I can imagine being emotionally drained as well if I read his assassination. I was going to suggest Maggot Moon - because I absolutely loved it - but that would be just as emotionally draining. Haha. Harry Potter is always a good, comforting read! Happy reading this week! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the Lincoln book too. I love Sheinkin's ability to write captivating narrative non-fiction. The JFK looks interesting too. I am planning on reading some of the award winners that I hadn't read yet in 2013 next. Maybe you want to grab some of those. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete