Monday, January 13, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

This meme was started by Sheila at Book Journey. The kid's version was started by Jen at Teach Mentor Text and Kellee at Unleashing Readers.

I'm so excited because I actually have books to post!!  I know that I'm feeling better because I've been able to read a lot of new to me books.  I've been reading a lot of picture books.  These are ones that have been talked about as being possible Caldecott Winners.  

15799165
The first book is Bluebird written and illustrated by Bob Staake.  Click here for a summary on Goodreads.  This is a beautifully illustrated wordless picture book!  I'm not a huge fan of wordless picture books, but I liked this one.  I just love the friendship that develops between the boy and the bluebird.  I knew about the ending and it still caught me.  I won't spoil it if you haven't read it.

15791057The second book is Steam Train, Dream Train written by Sherri Duskey Rinker and illustrated by Tom Lichtenheld.  Click here for a summary on Goodreads. After reading this book, I just wanted to curl up in bed and go to sleep.  The is a wonderful bedtime story.  I loved how the illustrations had dark blue overtones to make you constantly think about nighttime.

13642600The third book is A Splash of Red:  The Life and Art of Horace Pippin written by Jen Bryant and illustrated by Melissa Sweet.  Click here for a summary on Goodreads.  Wow, I can't say enough good things about this book.  I had a little background knowledge of who Horace Pippin was and his paintings, but I learned so much more with this book.  I loved how the illustrator didn't just create illustrations to go with the text, she also added Pippin's own words into the illustrations.  This is one book that I will be adding to my personal collection.

17333265
The fourth book is Mr. Tiger Goes Wild written and illustrated by Peter Brown. Click here for a summary on Goodreads.  I loved this book!  I love anything that Peter Brown creates!  If you have ever felt like there was a lack of excitement in your life, then you know exactly how Mr. Tiger feels.  One day he decides that he needs more fun in his life and he goes wild.  This book really spoke to me and my inner child.  The illustrations made me feel like I was right there in the jungle watching Mr. Tiger going wild!  

I also fit in a few other pictures and two chapter books Hold Fast by Blue Balliett, Sure Signs of Crazy by Karen Harrigton.  I'll post my thoughts about these later on during the week.  I also started Flora & Ulysses:  The Illuminated Adventures by Kate DiCamillo.  I had to put Sidekicked aside for a while.  I just couldn't get into the book right now.  I'll try again in a few weeks.

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)




3 comments:

  1. Great list of picture books! I have high hopes for the Mr. Tiger at the end of this month. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely collection of picture books, especiall A Splash of Red - I have to find this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stacey, I finally got a hold of Mr. Tiger Goes Wild from our library. I'm still waiting to get my hands on the other Cybils finalists before I read it, so that I'd get to enjoy all seven at one go. :) I enjoyed Bluebird. Melissa Sweet is also a favourite, will look for this title. Thanks for sharing all these. Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete