Tuesday, January 28, 2014

ALA Youth Media Awards and Many Thanks

Girl Standing Behind Stack of Big Books
Image from www.mycutiegraphics.com
Wow, is all I can say. This year was a new experience for me since I watched them live on the internet. Last year I was excited to hear on Twitter all about the winners. Watching the awards live to it to a whole new level for me. I couldn't tear myself away from the computer screen during that time period. I made sure to have my pencil and paper handy to jot down some titles. I had quite a few to list! I was very happy with the Caldecott selections and the Newbery selections this year.  I'm always thrilled when the Newbery is elementary friendly. I started showing my students the book trailer for Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures right away. Each month my assistant and I pick a chapter book and a picture book to highlight. In February, the chapter book I highlight will be Flora and Ulysses and the picture book will be Journey by Aaron Becker. Just in case you didn't know, Journey is a 2014 Caldecott Honor book!

As I sat and listened to the awards I was also reflecting on how many of the books that were named I've read or are on my to-read list. I thought about how these last two years of being on Twitter and have been blogging more often have given me experiences and introduced me to people that I might have never interacted with. I feel that those people I have connected with have made me a better read teacher librarian. There are so many books that without their reviews and recommendations I would not have picked up. These same people have inspired me with their teaching ideas and lessons. My students are benefiting so much by your knowledge. So thank you for inspiring me, keeping well read, and helping me create a wonderful PLN!

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)

No comments:

Post a Comment