Saturday, April 7, 2012

It's A-OK To Reread in April!


Once again Jen, over at Teach Mentor Texts had another great idea!  She says that "It's A-OK to Reread in April!"  I love this idea because I'm a big rereader!  I always find myself going back and rereading my favorites to my students.  I look at it as sharing a book they might not be familiar with because many of my students were not alive when the book was first published. (I really just made myself feel old!)  I also reread when I'm in a reading rut.  It helps me get back into and enjoy reading again.  I think this is because I know what is going to happen so I can stop and start without losing my place in the story.  My go to reread is A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle.  This was one of my favorite books when I was younger and I still love it today.  In fact I just reread it a few months ago when I was sick.

The three picture books that I'm rereading today are Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend and Scaredy Squirrel At The Beach by Melanie Watt and How I Spent My Summer Vacation by Mark Teauge.  I'm going to start rereading The Red Pyramid by Rick Rordan.  Since the next book in the Kane Chronicles, The Serpent's Shadow, is published on May 1st I need to reread the first two.  If the next book in a series is coming out I always have to reread the previous books before I can start on the current book.  Does anyone do this too, or is it just me?

Happy reading and rereading!

Stacey
@libraryjo92

1 comment:

  1. I really wish I had the time or energy to reread books in a series before reading a new addition but it has never worked out for me. Sometimes, I know what's going to happen so I can't justify rereading the whole book. I think it happens especially with long books. Thank goodness authors usually give us some updates as to what happened before so I can easily pick up where I left off or I would be lost. I love How I Spent My Summer Vacation by Mark Teague. It's fun. It's a great mentor text for writing a personal narrative. Scaredy Squirrel is a hoot, too. I'm planning ideas for "Kindergarten with Mom" over the summer to keep my almost 5YO busy over the summer and get him a little bit more ready for kindergarten. I need to do a Scaredy Squirrel week...Thanks for joining in! It's fun to hear from someone who rereads often and loves it.

    ReplyDelete