Monday, July 25, 2016

It's Monday!! What Are You Reading?

This meme was started by Sheila at Book Journey. The kid's version was started by Jen at Teach Mentor Text and Kellee at Unleashing Readers.


I am just LOVING getting back into the reading groove. I feel so much relaxed when I have time to read. It truly is what feeds my soul!


27272478I've got two books to write about today. The first is The NOT so Quiet LIBRARY by Zachariah OHora. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. This book was just published last week. I just love any kind of book about libraries and books. I couldn't wait to get a hold of this book because I am a huge Zachariah OHora fan. I just LOVED his illustration of Wolfie the Bunny! I was not disappointed with this book. The message at the end is a great one for students. The front cover gives you a bit of a hit about why the library is not quiet. It took me a bit to spot the hint. But if I had opened up the cover to look at the back and front cover at the same time I would have figured it out right away. Make sure you take a look under the book jacket. I just attended a Scholastic Reading Summit and had the pleasure of attending sessions with Mr. Schu. He talked about the importance of teaching kids to appreciate all aspects of a book, including what is hiding under the jacket.

27272417The second book this week is a chapter book by C.C. Payne called The Thing About Leftovers. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. I sat down to read a few chapters of the book as a reward for spending two hours really cleaning my house and doing laundry. Well, once I started this book I could not stop reading until I finished. Fizzy (Elizabeth), is a very easy character to relate to. Fizzy is dealing with learning a new normal after her parents divorce and start moving on with their lives. I can see this book being a really great one for students who have gone or are living through their parents divorce. Fizzy verbalizes many of the same emotions that they are having and this book might help them start some conversations. The book gave me some insights to how many of my students might be feeling as they go through this. I highly recommend you giving this book a try!

What have you been reading?

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! Put in a request for the Not So Quiet Library - could lead to some good discussions with students.

    Do you have a sense of the target audience range for Leftovers? I am moving up to middle school from early elem and am always looking for new books geared towards middle schoolers. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting! You will love The Not So Quiet Library. I would say the audience for Leftovers would be 4th and above.

    ReplyDelete