Monday, July 18, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

This meme was started by Sheila at Book Journey. The kid's version was started by Jen at Teach Mentor Text and Kellee at Unleashing Readers.

During my break from blogging I did read some books, so I'm going to use this post to post about two of my favorites. I received both of these books from Penguin Young Readers. The first is a chapter book and the second is a picture book.

25489429The chapter book is Sweet Home Alaska by Carole Estby Dagg. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. I'm always excited when I read historical fiction book that I enjoy because for many years I stayed away from that genre. I said that it wasn't a genre I enjoyed. It just turned out I was reading the wrong historical fiction books! I loved how this book has a strong female character who never gives up. Previously visiting Alaska made this book even more interesting to me. The story is all about the settling of the Palmer Colony. Palmer happened to be a stop on my trip to Alaska. I knew that people went to Alaska and settled there, but I didn't know the history behind it. Make sure you read the author's note in the back of the book. I was so curious as to what made her decided to write about this period of time. Her notes answered my question!

26192916The picture book that I read was Hensel and Gretel Ninja Chicks by Corey Rosen Schwartz and Rebecca J. Gomez and illustrated by Dan Santat. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. This is the third book in which beloved fairy/folk tales have had a ninja twist in them. This book does not disappoint! I'm a huge fan of fractured tales, so I have enjoyed reading them for myself and to my kids. I love how this book tied back to The Three Ninja Pigs. Dan Santat's illustrations are wonderful as usual! I'm never disappointed when looking at a book he illustrates. After I finish reading I have to go back and study his illustrations because they are incredible! With this ninja installment in my library, I think I'm going to have to have a ninja display next year. My kids can never get enough ninja books!

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)

2 comments:

  1. I love historical fiction (I did my undergrad degree in history, so I'm a bit of a buff!), but man, it's a genre that can be done beautifully, or terribly....sometimes you just have to stay optimistic, even when you've read dud after dud.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoy reading historical fiction - especially with strong female characters. Have you read Debbie Reese's comments about Sweet Home Alaska? I always appreciate her perspective on historical fiction as it pertains to the indigenous peoples here on this continent. Her thoughts on this book are available here: http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.ca/2016/04/sweet-home-alaska-by-carole-estby-dagg.html

    ReplyDelete