Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Power of Book Trailers

I posted awhile back (July 21st) about this great blog I came across, Watch. Connect. Read. by Mr. Schu.  He believes that using video book trailers is one way to connect kids to books.  Well let me tell you, after the beginning of this school year, I am a believer!!!  I started slowly with my Fourth and Fifth Graders, showing a few when I had a few spare minutes.  Well, those books began flying off the shelves!  I next started on my Third Graders.  I'm still putting holds into the computer for the book trailers that I had them watch!


I had my Fifth Graders in one class watch a book trailer for the series The Sisters Grimm by Michael Buckley, along with two others.  Once check out started, this series was gone off the shelf within seconds!  I was amazed because I had been trying to get some students interested in the series for a few years.


I'm going to be using book trailers with my primary grades in the new year.


If you haven't checked out Mr. Schu's blog yet, I would highly recommend it.  You will hopefully get as much inspiration and information as I have.


Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment