Monday, April 13, 2015

It's Monday!! What Are You Reading?

This meme was started by Sheila at Book Journey. The kid's version was started by Jen at Teach Mentor Text and Kellee at Unleashing Readers.

I always start the week with good intentions of coming back and blogging again, but it hasn't been in the cards yet. I am determined to post again this week! That being said, I didn't get a lot of reading done because this was my first week back after Spring Break and it really kicked my butt!

20454079I was able to get three books read, two chapter books and a graphic novel. The first book I read was Snoop Troop: It Came From Beneath the Playground by Kirk Scroggs. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. This book came with my book talk kit for the Spring Book Fair. It was a fun read and I can really see the kids enjoying it. There is a lot of illustrations and "things to do" in the book. It is a great mix of chapter book and graphic novel. It looks like this will be the first in a new series.

23309659The second chapter book that I read was an ARC from Simon & Schuster of The Secret Cookie Club by Martha Freeman. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. This book is due to be published on May 19th. This book is about four cabin mates at summer camp who are not really getting along, until their counselor teaches them about "flour power". She gets them to bake cookies and they learn about working together. The rest of the story involves each of the girls having a problem, one of their cabin mates writing a letter and sending cookies that helps them figure out an answer. This book was a very easy read. I can see many of my students enjoying this book. The best part, in my opinion, is all the recipes for cookies in the back!

22504701The graphic novel that I got to read was Roller Girl by Victoria Jamieson. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. I LOVED this book. It had so many strong female characters and good role models for girls of today. I also like how Victoria Jamieson didn't shy away from the hardships girls and their friends seem to face when leaving elementary school. It is never easy being a girl tween/teen and I'm glad the struggles were not sugar-coated. I have always been in awe of the females who participate in Roller Derby. This book is such a tribute to those who participate! I highly recommend this book to everyone!

I hope to read some more this coming week. I'm still working on trying to find the balance in my life between work and "me time". I will be back to post this week an update to my Nerdlution. I have made some progress and want to give an update.

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)

6 comments:

  1. Roller Girl looks like a lot of fun! The town north of us started an adult roller derby team, and I love reading about them. One day I'm going to go watch! Good luck with blogging this week. I feel like I'm always behind. You can check out my reading week here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our book fair arrived last Friday and today I pulled Snoop Troop to have a look at it and see what I could find out about it. Needless to say, I'm very happy to read your review of it here today. I've got Roller Girl on my list of books to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for telling us about Roller Girl. We are always looking for books with strong female characters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great recommendation for Roller Girl. This seems to be the graphic novel that everyone loves. I ordered it and am looking forward to reading and sharing it with students. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My students have seen Roller Girl come in as a new book to our library - I think that possibly there might be a stampede when the book is put into circulation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roller Girl sounds exactly like the kind of book my 13 year old girl would absolutely adore. Hopefully we get a copy soon here in Singapore.

    ReplyDelete