Monday, January 30, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

This meme was started by Sheila at Book Journey. The kid's version was started by Jen at Teach Mentor Text and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers.

I've got a very short post this week because last week was SO busy. On Wednesday I had author and illustrator Henry Cole visit my school. Monday and Tuesday of course, I was prepping for his visit. I'm a Type-A personality, so I had to make sure everything was in place. It was a great visit and was still the talk of the school on Thursday. My assistant did three AMAZING bulletin board! I will be posting about his visit, showing those amazing bulletin boards, and showing some pictures from his presentation. Can't wait to share his visit with everyone!

25785698I read two picture books this week. The first one was The Night Gardener by The Fan Brothers. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. I was so interested as I read the story to see what animal would appear next after a visit from the Night Gardener. The illustrations in this book took my breath away. This was another book that I had to go back and study the illustrations after I finished reading it. I know that I'm a little late to the party on this book, but I know I can't be alone. If you haven't read this book, don't delay in getting a copy of this book!

432463The second book that I read was If You Give a Mouse a Brownie by Laura Numeroff. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. I have loved these books since I read If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. I am so excited to have another one because I love using these to teach my students the relationship between author and illustrator. Numeroff and Felicia Bond are such a dynamic duo that I don't think children of any age will tire of these books. I know that they are so hard to keep them on my shelf! This one will not disappoint! Can't wait to share it with my students.

I'm still working on finishing You Can Fly by Carole Boston Weatherford. I'm hoping to have it finished tomorrow. I should have time to finish it!

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)

5 comments:

  1. There was a copy of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie when I started at my library 15 years ago, and it still gets checked out from time to time! That exuberant mouse on the cover helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a great author visit. The Night Gardener is just gorgeous. Laura Numeroff's books are always favorites. My older students are always picking them up, too, I think because it reminds them of when they were in the younger grades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Author/illustrator visits are so exciting, and so inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also loved the illustrations in the Night Gardener, but since I have done some reading about topiary and learned how long it takes to create one of these masterpieces, it was hard for me to suspend belief and get into the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Night Gardener is definitely one of my favourite reads. Gorgeous art. - Myra from GatheringBooks

    ReplyDelete