Monday, January 23, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

This meme was started by Sheila at Book Journey. The kid's version was started by Jen at Teach Mentor Text and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers.

My reading was done in short spurts this week. I was busy all week, but I can't remember what I did. I didn't make any progress on You Can Fly by Carole Boston Weatherford. This is a book I want to savor, so I want to wait until I can sit a finish it in one reading. All three of the books that I read were part of my latest Junior Library Guild delivery. 


28954227I'm a huge Jan Thomas fan and her new book Is That Wise, Pig is another winner. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. Ever since I read What Will Fat Cat Sit On, I look forward to reading any book by Jan Thomas. I love books where I can involve my students in helping me read. This book has the line "Is that wise, pig" over and over which the kids can help out with. Her illustrations add to the overall enjoyment of this book. I know this one will be a favorite of my students.



28503853
The next book I read was Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea by Ben Clanton. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. This looks to be the first in a new series. I was so excited since it was a graphic novel for my younger students. My younger students love graphic novels, but usually want those that are way above their reading level. In this book Narwhal and "Jelly" become friends and have a lot of adventures. This book is going to be very popular in my library. I might just have to get a second copy. If you haven't seen this one, check it out. You won't be disappointed. 


28954214The third book I read this week was Octopuses One to Ten by Ellen Jackson. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. Yes, I read another nonfiction book! This one was awesome!! I learned so much about the octopus. I never realized there was so much that I didn't know. I think there are 10 different types of octopuses! On the pages with the different octopuses there is a size comparison. Some octopus are compared with the human body. While others are so small they are compared to the size of a human hand. This was a really neat nonfiction book. I can't wait to share it with my students.  

I think after the playoff game I watched yesterday, I'm going to lose myself in books this week. My team will be watching from home this year. This was not the way I had hoped this season would have ended. But I will be rooting for the Atlanta Falcons to win the Super Bowl!!

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)





No comments:

Post a Comment