Monday, February 24, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

This meme was started by Sheila at Book Journey. The kid's version was started by Jen at Teach Mentor Text and Kellee at Unleashing Readers.

I got quite a bit of reading done this past week. It didn't feel like I did, but I was surprised when I looked back at how much I read.

13641955In my last #IMWAYR post I had started two books. The first is One Came Home by Amy Timberlake. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. This was a Newbery Honor winner for 2014. This book held my interest because I had to find out what happened to Georgie's sister. But I wasn't totally invested in the story. It was very well written, and I can see why it was a Newbery Honor book. I just didn't make an emotional connection to the book. This is one book that I have looked at other reviews, and I feel I missed something.

17667561The second book that I was reading was The Shadow Throne by Jennifer Nielsen. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. I have loved this trilogy since I first read The False Prince. This book I had that emotional connection with. I wanted to make this book last as long as I could since it was the last of the trilogy. My only regret is that I didn't have time to reread The False Prince and The Runaway King before I started on The Shadow Throne. I was a bit lost at the beginning until I remembered the characters and where the story had left off. I am truly sorry to see this story end because I really enjoyed this story and the characters! This is a trilogy that I would reread again and if you haven't started I highly recommend that you do.

18767260I also read a picture book called Never Underestimate a Hermit Crab by Daniel Sean Kaye. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. I got this book from NetGalley, it is due to be published on March 18th. I didn't know what to think of this book from the title, but I loved it! I can see it being very popular with kids. There is so much writing a predicting that can be done with this book. The kids would enjoy so much making predictions about what a hermit crab can do. The illustrations are such fun as well. This is one that I will be looking to add to my library once it is published.

There are a couple others that I've read, but I'm going to wait until it is closer to the publication date to write some reviews.

I've started A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. Wow, I can't stop reading this book! I'm only on page 102, but I am so taken with this story all ready. I can't wait to get home from school today so I can keep reading!

What are you reading?

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)




8 comments:

  1. I do like the Nielsen books even though every time I see a medieval fantasy, I can't imagine that I would ever need another one in my library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been quite a few medieval fantsy books lately. I just enjoyed them for myself.

      Delete
  2. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed One Came Home. It is definitely squarely in my wheelhouse though! I was very excited when it was mentioned as a Newbery honor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed One Came Home, but I didn't love it. I can see why it was named a Newbery Honor, but it just didn't overly excite me.

      Delete
  3. So glad you're loving A SNICKER OF MAGIC. I can't imagine there being a book published this year that I will love more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been counting the hours until I could come home and start reading it again!

      Delete
  4. Oh that Hermit Crab one looks funny!
    I haven't read One Came Home so I don't know what I would think. I do know that sometimes I read books other people loved and I ... don't. So I say it's all good!
    I keep hearing about A Snicker of Magic. I need to find it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there Stacey, we still don't have Snicker of Magic here, but I'm very excited to read that one. I didn't realize that One Came Home won the Newbery! Wow. It's the first I've heard of this title. We also don't have shadow throne yet, glad to see you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete