Monday, February 18, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


This meme was started by Sheila at Book Journey.  The kid's version was started by the lovely ladies at Teach Mentor Text.

Once again to prepare for my school's visit from Henry Cole, I have been reading many of his books.  I came across two that he illustrated that I just fell in love with and will be purchasing for my library.

Surfer ChickThe first was Surfer Chick written by Kristy Dempsey and illustrated by Henry Cole.  Click here for a description from Goodreads.  I really enjoyed rhythm of the story, along with the surfer lingo.  There are lots of times that this story to be used in your library.  Of course first is summer, but this is also a great story about father's and daughters.  I knew that this was a great story when my students asked me to read it again.  Henry Cole's illustrations in this book are wonderful.  I love how he can put so much detail in personality into his characters.

I Know A Wee PiggyThe second book was I Know a Wee Piggy by Kim Norman and illustrated by Henry Cole.  Click here for a description from Goodreads.  This book is a great one for predictions and teaching colors.  This book reminded me of the I Know an Old Women series.  The kids loved being able to call out what color they thought/knew was coming next.  I really loved how the color words were in that color.  I just fell for the illustration of the pig on the front cover.  I would have bought it just for that illustration alone.


I've also been rereading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling.  I had a very difficult day at school on Friday, in fact my whole staff did in one way or another.  I wanted something that would take my mind off everything and one where I won't have to think too much about the story.  This book did the trick.  And even though it is most likely my 7th or 8th time reading it, I still am discovering new things that I hadn't noticed before.

I need to start working on my bookgap, nonfiction, again.  I have a whole stack, that I need to start reading.

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)

9 comments:

  1. I read Bomb, which you recommended last week and it was fantastic so I look forward to your next NF recommendation! I've not read either of thèse picture books so I'll add them to my list. I hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world of JK Rowling is always a great escape for me as well. Hope you have a better week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Stacey, I should find the time to reread the entire Harry Potter series too. Soon. :) You're right the Wee Piggy book cover is simply the cutest. I will have to find that book in our libraries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Wee Piggy book! It was a big surprise to me and absolutely adorable. Must check out Surfer Chick too! I hope you have a better week, Stacey! Harry Potter helps a lot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Surfer Chick looks awesome! I need to check that one out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stacey, the Henry Cole books do look fun. How great you are having him visit. Thanks for telling about them, & hope you get some reading time for all the others on your stack!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm catching up on laundry today too! (and all the other jobs I slacked off on for the past two days). Surfer Chick looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love to re-visit Harry Potter. Re-read the series last year and it was an unbelievable experience. I hope this week is fantastic - or at least better than last Friday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing like rereading a favourite book no matter what your mood! I love Henry Cole's illustrations so must look out for this title.

    ReplyDelete