Monday, February 11, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

This meme was started by Sheila at Book Journey.  The kid's version was started by the lovely ladies at Teach Mentor Text.

I felt like I did a lot of reading this week, but it was only a few books that I finished. 

Bomb: The Race to Build—and Steal—the World's Most Dangerous WeaponLast week I started reading Bomb by Steve Sheinkin.  I finished it this week.  It was a very good read and I can see why it won a Newbery Honor Award.  I'm a big history buff, so I was intrigued by this time period.  I didn't know a lot about it, but I knew enough to recognize names and major events.  I found it sometimes reading like a fiction story, which made it all the more interesting to me because it was all about real events in our history.  I did find with this book, I had to really focus on the book and couldn't really read many others.  I checked out Sheinkin's The Notorious Benedict Arnold at the library because I enjoyed Bomb so much.  I'm interested to see if it captivates me as much as Bomb did.

When I went to Physical Therapy last Monday, I forgot Bomb at home.  So I needed a book to read while I had heat on my leg at the beginning and the end of therapy.  So I picked one off my library shelves that I've always wanted to read but haven't.  That book was NERDS:  National Espionage, Rescue, and Defense Society by Michael Buckley.  After I started this book my main thought was:  How have I not read this book before?  I can see why my kids love it.  There is the right amount of action and adventure mixed with pulling the wool over some adults eyes.  I can't wait to start the next one in the series.  With Michael Buckley starting rewrites on book five, I have a bit to catch up on.

Hope to get some more reading done this week.  I'm also setting myself a goal to post more than once this week.

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92) 

8 comments:

  1. Stacey
    Some of my students - ones coming in from another class love the Nerds books, I just must ask them about them and read at least one myself.
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of NERDS, so will have to look for it, Stacey. Thanks! (and still need to read Bomb.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacey,

    I just ordered Bomb and when I did I realized he also wrote Lincoln's Grave Robbers which I really liked. I had an ARC, so I'm not sure if it's out yet, but you might also enjoy that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bomb is my favorite of my recently-read nonfiction. I am part of a YA book club at my school (teachers reading YA), and we discussed this on Friday afternoon. We all agreed that it was incredibly well-written and we brainstormed ways we could use it with our middle schoolers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stacey, I've been seeing BOMB around and the fact that it just won the Newbery would definitely make this a very popular book. It also sounds like a book that would be picked up quite easily by boys. Will have to check it out. NERDS also sounds like a lot of fun, thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, NERDS sounds fun! Our children's department has that series. I may have to check it out. Thanks for the tip! http://wp.me/pzUn5-1pL

    ReplyDelete
  7. My students like NERDS. I am debating getting BOMB for my 4th grade class. Do you think it is appropriate for that grade level?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was vaguely familiar with Bomb but it didn't call eo me...not that it was on the awards list, I'll be more likely to pick it up for sure. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete