Monday, July 31, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

This meme was started by Sheila at Book Journey. The kid's version was started by Jen at Teach Mentor Text and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers.

I'm so excited because this is the third week in a row that I've been able to post, I've been able to read a lot and I stepped outside my comfort zone this week and did something that I wouldn't normally do. I'm not willing to share yet what I did. But if we ask our kids to step out of their comfort zones to push their learning, shouldn't we be willing to do the same thing?

33118312The first book that I read was Refugee by Alan Gratz. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. Wow, just wow! This book was INCREDIBLE!! This book has been talked about on Twitter for a while. I knew that I would need to get my hands on a copy. When I went to the Scholastic Reading Summit I was lucky enough to get a copy from Mr. Schu! This book is such a powerful read, one that everyone needs to read. It is so timely given everything that is happening in our world. Alan Gratz has created characters that grab you by the heart and don't let go. This is when book that I will never forget. If you haven't gotten a copy, you need to get one now! Click here to can hear Alan Gratz read an excerpt the book on Scholastic's Soundcloud. You can also hear many other authors and educators discussing a variety of topics.

Sorry for the short post today. I'll post later on this week about Wishtree by Katherine Applegate, Prince and Pirate by Charlotte Gunnufson and The Book of Mistakes by Corinna Luyken.

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)

12 comments:

  1. I've heard nothing but great things about Refugee. I'll have to read it soon. Wishtree is fantastic, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you went to a reading summit. Fun. I have heard lots of people talk about this one so I will definitely have to find a copy. I wish we didn't need Wishtree. Don't get me wrong, glad we have it. But I wish we didn't need it. :( Or this one, from the sound of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a blast at the Reading Summit! I totally agree with you, I wish we didn't need these books either! But thankful that we have authors who will write about these topics.

      Delete
  3. It's on my list, and I'm sure I will love it, Stacey. Thanks for your push to read it, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome. Rufugee is one that will stick with me forever.

      Delete
  4. I've been seeing Refugee everywhere this week, it sounds like such a powerful and timely release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you get a copy. It is one that will stick with me forever.

      Delete
  5. I blogged about Refugee today, too - what a powerful book! Thanks for sharing that Soundcloud link, I enjoy listening to writers read their own works so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thrilled to find the Soundcloud link. I always love listening to authors read their own work too. It makes the word even more powerful.

      Delete
  6. Corinna Liken is coming to our store on the 6th. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! I wish I lived some place where authors/illustrators would visit! Enjoy!

      Delete