Monday, February 1, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

This meme was started by Sheila at Book Journey. The kid's version was started by Jen at Teach Mentor Text and Kellee at Unleashing Readers

I've been trying to blog about my snow day readings, but life has gotten in the way! January has been a crazy month. I can't believe it is already February! I'm really wondering where January went! I did get a lot of reading during my snow days before and after I spent the day shoveling out from the blizzard.

24819508I was able to read some really great picture books. The first was the newest Caldecott Award Winner, Finding Winnie written by Lindsay Mattick and illustrated by Sophie Blackwell. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. I just loved this book, even though I'm not a huge fan of Winnie the Pooh. I'm really interested in my family history, so I loved the story is told by a relative of the man who started it all. The illustrations are magnificent! Sophie Blackwell's illustrations truly add to this story and I can see why the Caldecott committee awarded this book the highest honor! 

23167689The next book I read was also a new award winner. I read Trombone Shorty written by Troy Andrews and Bill Taylor and illustrated by Bryan Collier. This book won the Coretta Scott King Book Award for illustrations and was a Caldecott Honor Winner. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. This was another great book. I learned all about Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews and his life. I had never heard of this Grammy-nominated artist, but will be searching out some of his music. When in the right mood I really enjoy Jazz music. The illustrations for this book were ones that just added so much depth to this autobiography. I highly recommend this book if you have not already read it! 

24885906Another great book that I picked up before the snow was Alphabet School by Stephen T. Johnson. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. I'm a huge fan of Alphabet City, so I got excited to read this one. I loved seeing all the places that the letters were found. I just love this type of illustrations/pictures. In fact I have letters found around my county spelling out some important words to me up on my walls. As much as I try, I can't ever find anything that resembles letters. That's why I'm happy I know of someone who does this for a hobby.

22749725The last book I'm going to write about today also was a new award winner. It was Drowned City: Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans by Don Brown. The book was a Robert F. Sibert Informational Book Award Honor book. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. Wow, this was such a powerful book. I found myself getting emotional reading this book. I had to put it down for a bit, when the story overwhelmed me. Even though this is a graphic novel, it still is as powerful as any novel I've read about Hurricane Katrina. I really want all those teachers who still don't count graphic novels as "real reading and real books" to read this book!

I've still got more to post from my snow reading, hopefully life will slow down this week and I'll be able to post more.

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)



No comments:

Post a Comment