Monday, March 2, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

This meme was started by Sheila at Book Journey. The kid's version was started by Jen at Teach Mentor Text and Kellee at Unleashing Readers.

I had really good intentions of coming back last week and posting again, but the weather got in my way. We had another snow day last week. So I had more snow shoveling and having to redo my plans. But I also got some more reading done.

It is funny, this year I seem to be reading more chapter books than picture books so far. These first two chapter books were recommended to me by two ladies, Niki and Ann, who I have come to know and respect through Twitter and Facebook and hope to one day meet in person! 


18225037
Niki, who is known on Twitter as @daydreamreader, recommended Absolutely Almost by Lisa Graff. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. I really enjoyed this book. I found it easy to relate to Albie and his struggles. I still to this day remember what it was like to be the target of the "mean" kids. I can't wait to get this in my library and share with my students. Lisa Graff also wrote another favorite of mine, A Tangle of Knots, which I also highly recommend. Check out Niki's blog here.



18656207Ann, who is know on Twitter as @KingandKids, recommended The Meaning of Maggie by Megan Jean Sovern. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. This was another great read! Totally appreciated the voice of Maggie, the main character. She had the right amount of angst with being too over the top. This book had many highs and lows of emotions and I was glad that I went for the ride. Check out Ann's blog here


18668051The last book that I'm going to write about today came from Penguin Young Readers, The Secret Hum of a Daisy by Tracy Holczer. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. Wow, this book was worth waiting for! I have had this on my to read list since last June. I started this book Saturday morning while I ate breakfast. Well, I couldn't put it down and I sat until I finished the book! This book has so many layers of friendship, family, sadness, happiness, with a little mystery thrown in. The book made me really miss my last grandmother who past away 6 years ago. You can see my favorite picture of her below. If you haven't read this book yet, I highly recommend that you run not walk to your library or book store to get a copy! And make sure you have tissues handy, you will need them!



What have you been reading? I'm always looking for suggestions.

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)

10 comments:

  1. I've been hearing a lot of good things about The Secret Hum of a Daisy. It sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't highly recommend it enough! Secret Hum is on the my list of favorite books!

      Delete
  2. Of the three, Secret Hum was my favorite. I really appreciate books that have grandparent relationships. The writing was beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were all great, but Secret Hum really spoke to me. It is hard to believe that this was Tracy Holczer's first book.

      Delete
  3. Hi Stacey,

    You picked three of our favorite chapter books - They are amazing! Have you read Fish in a Tree? If you liked those books, we think you will love Fish in a Tree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fish in a Tree is another that is on my favorite book list. Since I am dyslexic, that book spoke to me as that child who struggled, but also a teacher.

      Delete
  4. I've read and loved The Secret Hum of a Daisy and The Meaning of Maggie. Absolutely Almost just didn't work for me though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked Secret Hum and Maggie! We always have books that we don't like. There are quite a few that everyone seems to love and I couldn't get pass page 10.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any of those, but I have put them all on my wishlist now, they sound like wonderful reads!

    ReplyDelete