Monday, February 2, 2015

It's Monday!! What Are You Reading?

This meme was started by Sheila at Book Journey. The kid's version was started by Jen at Teach Mentor Text and Kellee at Unleashing Readers.

Since I skipped last week, I have been doing a bit of reading. I finished some books and still have two chapter books in progress.



4572535The first three books I got from Penguin Young Readers. I received the copies to review. The first book is an old favorite, but it is being released as a paperback on May 12, 2015, School Fever by Brod Bagert. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. I have been a huge fan of Brod Bagert ever since I heard him speak years ago at a reading conference. His poems are just so much fun and really appeal to kids. I have quite a few of Brod Bagert's books on my shelf in the library and can't wait to add this one. I know the kids will love it.

14933505The next book is Dear Mr. Washington by Lynn Cullen. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. This book is based a true story about Gilbert Stuart's famous painting of George Washington. It is a fun entertaining book that will appeal to kids and grownups alike. Also a good vehicle to teach a bit about manners. This book was just published in January. I really enjoyed this book a lot. I know some parents will be able to relate to the antics of the kids.

22522295The final book from Penguin Young Readers this week is Smick by Doreen Cronin and illustrated by Juana Medina. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. This is a simplistic book in words and pictures. I loved it! I really like how Juana Medina mixed a drawn dog with what looks like a real picture of a stick. I still can't figure out if she drew the chick or used a real picture of something and added features to make it into a chick. This one will become a favorite as soon as I put it out for checkout!

I know that my bookgap is nonfiction, so I am making a real effort in 2015 to read more nonfiction. This past week I was excited when my hold came in at the library for Earmuffs for Everyone by Meghan McCarthy. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. I will admit I have never given a thought to who invented earmuffs. I was fascinated by the real story behind earmuffs. There was much more to it than I ever thought. It was a good read.

What other great nonfiction books would you recommend?

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92) 


8 comments:

  1. I just put Smick on hold at the library, thanks for reminding me about that one! I love Brod Bagert too, his poetry is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever get the chance to see Brod Bagert in person, do it. You will not be disappointed! He is wonderful!!

      Delete
  2. I'm so looking forward to reading Smick! Thanks for sending me the recommendation through Goodreads! School Fever looks fun...I had seen that title.

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy to be able to recommend one to you. You always suggest great books to me.

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to reading Earmuffs For Everyone. It's always fascinating to discover how relatively mundane objects, like earmuffs, came to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love finding out how mundane objects came to be too. Sometimes the more mundane, the more interesting story. Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. Hi there Stacey, these are all unfamiliar titles to me. So thank you for sharing. For nonfiction books, I have a special leaning towards picture book biographies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to pass along new titles. All three of these are really great reads! Enjoy!

      Delete