Tuesday, July 16, 2013

It's Treat Tuesday!!

treatbadge
designed by the amazingly talented Shannon Houghton!



Trying to be a bit more healthy for my treat today.  The popcorn and the books were my reward for being productive this morning.  I just loved these three books!  They are each so different from each other.

If Rocks Could Sing: A Discovered AlphabetThe first I read was If Rocks could Sing: A Discovered Alphabet by Leslie McGuirk.  Click here for a summary on Goodreads.  The author of this book spent years collecting rocks that looked like letters or things that began with a specific letter.  I was so impressed with her collection, that I want to go out and start collecting rocks!  This is going on my to-buy list for my library.  Can't wait to share it with teachers and students!  I can see many students starting their own rock collections!

LandedThe next book I read was Landed by Milly Lee.  Click here for a summary on Goodreads.  I picked this book because I'm trying to get some books together to suggest to my students on my other blog in case they want to read more about the places that I went this summer.  This book provided a insightful look at what Chinese immigrants had to go through in order to be allowed to enter America.  There is a lot that I didn't know about this time period in our history.  Lee Sun Chor, the main character, had to go through many interrogations to prove that he is a "true son".  I didn't realize that officials could hold those new arrivals until they decided if they could enter America.  When I read the author's note, I learned even more information.  The author first heard the story of Sun and his experiences from her father-in-law, Lee Sun Chor.  He real life experiences were the basis for this book.  

Who Says Women Can't Be Doctors?: The Story of Elizabeth BlackwellThe last book I read this afternoon was Who Says Women Can't Be Doctors? by Tanya Lee Stone.  Click here for a summary on Goodreads.  I've been looking for this book for a while.  I was thrilled to finally find it at my public library.  It is another one that I've added to my to-buy list.  This is the story of Elizabeth Blackwell, who was the first women doctor.  I loved how this was told in story form, not just dates and information.  For me, this format made her even more real.  The illustrations by Marjorie Priceman were very whimsical with a lot of detail.  They really added to the story for me.  I highly recommend this book to everyone. 

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)

No comments:

Post a Comment