Monday, July 1, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

This meme was started by Sheila at Book Journey.  The kid's version was started by the lovely ladies at Teach Mentor Text.

I've been taking this past week to hang out with some old friends, so I haven't been reading a lot.  These are friends that I made over about 17 years ago when I first started teaching.  They are the type of friends that we can go for a few years without seeing each other except in passing and pick up like no time has passed.  But seeing their kids, makes me realize time has passed.  One of my friends, I was at the hospital the day after her oldest daughter was born and now she is getting reading for Eighth Grade next school year!  I was feeling my age when I was talking with her.

Rump: The True Story of RumpelstiltskinI did get to read a really great chapter book this week.  I had to set The Emerald Atlas to the side for a bit because I couldn't renew the book from the Public Library.  The chapter book was Rump:  The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin by Liesl Shurtliff.  Click here for a summary from Goodreads.  This was a really interesting fractured fairy tale.  I loved how this book gave you a version of what could have lead up to the orginal story of Rumpelstiltskin.  As a kid I whenever I heard the story of Rumpelstiltskin I always wondered what made him into the person he was in the story.  This book makes Rumpelstiltskin into a lovable character.  If you haven't picked this one up, I highly suggest it.  I've got some students in mind who will really enjoy this next year.

How to Raise a DinosaurThe picture book that I got read this week was one that I picked up on a whim at the Public Library.  It was How to Raise a Dinosaur by Natasha Wing.  Click here for a summary on Goodreads.  The cover is what made me pick this book up.  Didn't realize I was in for such a treat!  There are bite marks on the pages, and lift the flaps which make for an exciting read.  It's a fun story for the younger set.  Even though it is summer, I just can't shut off my school brain.  As I was reading I kept thinking about how I can use this book in my library lessons.  It is a great one to lead discussions about the best type of pet, researching pets, and using their research to create a project about what they feel is the best pet.  I will be getting this book for my library for sure!

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up about Rump! I'll be adding it to my fall wish list.http://mrsbrownthebookworm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 13 story tree house looks like a great read. Going to look for it at the library.
    -Reshama
    www.stackingbooks.com

    ReplyDelete