Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Shelf Challenge Update

Last week was a busy busy week!  I had three nights that I didn't get home until 8:30pm or 9:00pm.  So I didn't get much reading done for the Shelf Challenge.  Then I was hoping to do more reading over the weekend, but I had a touch of the flu.  The library gods have been against me.  I got some reading done on Monday and today from the "A"section of my Everybody books.

Giraffes Can't DanceI had a few that I really liked and can't believe I hadn't read them before.  There were also a few others that I weeded out.

I'll give you my top three that I found.  My first one is one that I had read before, Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae.  Click here for a summary from Goodreads.  As I was reading it, I was reminded how much I love the main character Gerald.  He wants to go to the Jungle Dance, but after the other animals make fun of Gerald, he slinks away and feels useless.  After some advice from a helpful cricket Gerald realizes he needs believe in himself.  Love, love, love the message for students that this book gives.  It is one that should be read often to students.

Keep Love in Your Heart, Little OneMy second stand out is another one from Giles Andreae, Keep Love in Your Heart, Little One.  Click here for a summary on Goodreads.  This book is all about a parent's love for their children.  This book is a wonderful read for any family.  It is one that I wish I could have found for my friend who is having  a baby any day now.  What I like is, even though it does look like parent who is talking to the child is the father, it works for either parent.  I can't highly recommend this book enough.  After everything that happened this week, it is a wonderful one to read to your children.

Van Gogh and the SunflowersThe last book that stood out is van Gogh and the Sunflowers by Laurence Anholt.  This is a historical fiction book about Vincent van Gogh and a french boy and his family who becomes friends when van Gogh comes to their town.  Click here for a summary on Goodreads.  I bought this book because I thought the cover look interesting, but never got around to reading it.  I am a huge van Gogh fan, so this book really was right up my alley!  I found the author's interpretation on how some of van Gogh's more famous painting came to be painted.  I'm going to try and get more students to check this book out.  Maybe if I pair it with a nonfiction book, tie it with a ribbon and set in it my "Fiction and Nonfiction Make a GREAT Combination! display it might get checked out more.

Can't wait to see what others have been reading in their Shelf Challenge adventures!

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)


No comments:

Post a Comment