Monday, August 13, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

This meme was started by Sheila at Book Journey and the kids' version borrowed from the wonderful ladies at Teach Mentor Texts

I had great intentions of posting midweek last week, but life got in the way.  I had a very close family friend pass away.  So that kind of took over my life and I didn't do a lot of reading.

Though I did get some reading done this week. I was so excited to get my copies of The Secret of the Fortune Wookiee by Tom Angleberger!  He has got another winner on his hands.  I LOVED this book!!  Once again we meet up with the gang from McQuarrie Middle School, except Dwight and Origami Yoda are not there.  Everyone wonders what to do without them.  After a while Fortune Wookiee makes an appearance and begins to give advice.  If you want to find out more, you have to read the book.  I think this is my favorite out of the three.  If you have not read this series, run don't walk to the library or bookstore and check it!

I also read the newest Junie B. book, Turkeys We Have Loved and Eaten (and Other Thankful Stuff) by Barbara Park.  I have to admit that this is the first Junie B. book I have ever read!  I can see why it appeals to kids, but it was not a favorite of mine.  I'm not going to run out and read more.

Giants Beware! by Rafael Rosado was a book that I had on hold for quite a while.  It finally came in this week.  I was thrilled with this book and it was worth the wait.  I really liked how main character was a female.  This book is going on order for this coming year!

When I went to the library I also saw sitting on the shelf Same Sun Here by Silas House and Neela Vaswani.  I have been waiting to read this book ever since I read Jen Vincent's and Colby Sharp's blog posts about the book.  Click here to go to Part One of their blog posts.  I am only on page 78 and I am loving this book!!  I don't want to put it down!

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)

7 comments:

  1. Very sad to hear about a family friend passing away. Truly sorry for your loss. I can see though that your spirits were uplifted by some of the books that have come your way this week. I've been seeing Fortune Wookiee and other people's excitement about it. I have to confess that this is the first time I've heard of this book, it's also our first time to join this Monday meme (as we usually do Nonfiction Monday posts), I would definitely check out some of the titles you have here. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My condolences on the death of your family friend. I have had several deaths in my family in the past year and it's very hard.

    I have never read a Junie B. Jones book, but, I must confess, my general attitude toward them is what you have described. They seem big on kid appeal, and pretty harmless, but not something that I'm dying to read.

    I love that in Same Sun Here they mentioned Dollywood. I spent many a day there in my childhood! I started that book ages ago, but somebody had a hold on it and I had to return it to the library. Still haven't finished it! What I read was very good, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son read Forune Wookie this week and loved it, too. We have fortune wookies on the floor in every room of the house. It's such a great series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess I'll have to get the Angleberger book-much talk about it. I loved Same Sun Here. Isn't it sweet & I loved the letter writing? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you on Junie B. books! Understand the appeal, but find I get irritated reading them. I can't wait to read Fortune Wookie. Normally our public library has a lag between when books are officially published and when they actually hit the shelves, but not with Fortune Wookie. Same Sun Here has been in the TBR--glad to hear you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got my hands on Fortune Wookiee! Loving it so far... but I'm a huge Star Wars fan too :)

    Giants Beware is another favorite. I adore that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, loved how the protagonist in Giants Beware is a rambunctious young girl.
    I am so jealous about Wookie! I have to get me a copy.

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete