Friday, May 3, 2013

My Love/Hate Relationship With the Book Fair

The Lions of Little RockSometimes I think that I get more excited than the kids do that Book Fair is coming to school.  I just love the feeling I get when I am able to put new books in kids hands.  It feels great when they seek me out, after they have started reading their books, to tell me how much they love it.  I think at this Book Fair I introduced a lot of students to historical fiction books.  They are usually the books that kids shy away from unless they have to read them.  We had two really great historical fiction books in the Book Fair this year, The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine and Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer L. Holm.  Click here for a summary from Goodreads for The Lions of Little Rock.  Click here for a summary from Goodreads for Turtle in Paradise.  
Turtle in Paradise

When they kids come into the Book Fair for the first time, no matter what grade level, I always highlight some fiction and nonfiction books to them.  This gives them some suggestions that they might pass over.  Too many times they kids get caught up in the books related to toys or movies and miss some of the best books.  

There are only two things that I do hate about Book Fair.  The first is, that I hate to see it leave.  It is so much fun been surrounded by all those new books.  The second thing I hate, is how tired I am by then end of Book Fair and how bad my feet hurt!  By the time the fall rolls around, I'll forget how tired I got with the spring Book Fair and the excitement will build the closer we get to October.

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)

No comments:

Post a Comment