Monday, July 9, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

This meme was started by Sheila at Book Journey and the kids' version borrowed from the wonderful ladies at Teach Mentor Texts.
 
I took a break from kids lit for most of last week.  While I was taking my break, I read some wonderful grown-up books.  I wrote about them in my previous blog post.  It felt so good to take a break, I guess we all need a change of pace every few weeks. 

I did ease back into some kit lit this week with two books.  The first was Outside Your Window A First Book of Nature by Nicola Davies and illustrated by Mark Hearld.  Wow, all I can say is wow!! I loved this book!! The poems were fun and really brought the feeling of each season alive.  I think my favorite poem Acorn, which was found on page 68.  Mark Hearld's illustrations made a great poetry book even better.  I found myself eager to turn each page for the the next poem and illustration!  If you haven't seen a copy of this book, I highly suggest you go to your library and check it out!

The other book that I read was Titanic Sinks! by Barry Denenberg.  I enjoyed this book because I'm fasinated by anything dealing with the Titanic.  The book did keep me interested from cover to cover.  But the thing that I really was not sure about was it "unique presentation of fact and fiction".  As I was reading the book, I really couldn't tell what was the fiction part.  It was not until I was reading the authors note at the back where I found out what was the fiction part.  I think that it will be hard for any students to separate out what is fact and what is fiction.

Happy Reading!!

Stacey (@libraryjo92)

2 comments:

  1. It's good to have a break from kidlit every once in a while. I need to remind myself of that too! I read Titanic Sinks! a while ago. I don't remember it real well (I read a lot of Titanic books all around the same time. I'm another one fascinated by the tragedy) but I seem to remember enjoying it. Good pictures, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to read at least one adult book a month and a teacher book, too. There are times I overload on kidlit, too...or at least on a specific kidlit genre and need to change it up. I really enjoyed Outside Your Window, too. The illustrations were wonderful, too.

    ReplyDelete